Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Golden Tantrums

Today as we were leaving Golden Spoon, Paisley threw her "golden spoon" on the floor because I would not let her eat her mini ice cream in the car seat. After she threw it in the street, I told her it was all gone, and that she would have to wait till we got home to eat her ice cream. I asked her if she would like to hold my spoon, and she yelled "No" at me. I do not like her to say "no" to me, it really pisses me off. So I shut the door, and got in the car to drive home. After I shut the door- she screamed at the top of her lungs- and tried to hit anything in site. People sitting a few feet away could hear her inside the car screaming. I let her work it out for a minute before I got in the car. This is the first time I have experienced something like this with her. Normally her tantrums are just bad crying and arching of the back. Today, it was like Jekyl and Hyde! Oh my word!!! I am very proud of my self- I stayed very calm and told her that it is okay- it was just a plastic spoon, and that she could have my spoon once we got home. She was still screaming at this point- and I told her I was sorry she was so upset- and that if she needed to talk to her Daddy about it we could call him. So we did. She told him that she threw her spoon on the floor, and that she didn't want my spoon, and that she was crying. Afterwards, she hung up the phone and she said " Look Mommy- I'm happy now"

Gosh- if life was only so easy!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Why is it that Dad's cure all? I want that power! Have you seen the Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp DVD? It's corny but the approach to tantrums and when the kids are upset works beautifully for us! I think You Tube has clips of the DVD to watch-like I said-super corny but it works for us! I borrowed it from the library.

Misty said...

you SHOULD be proud of yourself! After years of tantrums (my 9 year old still throws them) I still react.

Liz said...

ohhh good job, mama. good job keeping your cool and good job thinking of the magic call-daddy trick to get the screaming heebies out of your little starfish. =)

brooke2916 said...

I agree... Good job! I know how hard it can be to keep your cool... sometimes it's just impossible. But I think in the long run, they learn more when we keep clear headed about things instead of freaking out back at them. But I also agree with Kate... why is it that Dad's have these magic powers?? Probably 'cause we're the primary disciplinarians so they know what to expect from us... but they don't always know what's coming from Dad?? I don't know... but sometimes it's kinda frustrating... other times it's a god-send!

stat counter