Sunday, January 25, 2009

No Knock-Knock's Here.

Tonight as Paisley and I were pulling in the garage, I saw a van U-turn in our cul-de-sac thingy- and drop about 4 kids off. I'm assuming, selling magazines. I was just opening the door so P could get out of the car when I saw one young man walk towards my then, open garage. I told Paisley to hurry up, and get out- I grabbed her by the arm, helped her out of the car and darted towards the garage door opener, in this case, garage door closer. I think I closed the garage just as he was walking up my driveway. I'm sure he went to the front door where he was greeted with my newly made "ABSOLUTELY NO SOLICITING" sign. :)

Why so rude you ask? Well, living in a track home development such as Rancho Del Oro, I get BOAT LOADS of people selling stuff. Vans come literally 3 times a week, dropping off kids from all over this country. Mostly I get Church Goer's, Magazine sellers, and Vacuum sellers wanting to clean a 2 foot by 2 foot square on my carpet. The main issue here is me. I just can't say no. I can't tell you how many newspaper subscriptions I've signed up for just so that sweet kid can earn a trip to Hawaii. Or how many people have asked me to clean my carpet- and I've obliged. I have also stood in my doorway for almost 20 minutes listening to some sweet old lad tell me about God. I can't say no. Hence the new sign.

30 minutes later, and no knock at my door- it must be the sign. :)

6 comments:

FosterFamily4 said...

I hung I no soliciting sign when Mckayla was a newborn. We too have truck loads of solicitors coming through our neighborhood...at one point it seemed like someone was knocking on our door daily, sometimes two times a day! Waking her up from her naps..not to mention it's just plain annoying. I mean, if I want something I'll go to the store and buy it! I don't need people selling me things at my door. On an occasion, I still get people ringing my door bell and I politely show them my sign that is placed RIGHT NEXT to the flippin' door bell! LOL. I hear ya, Sista!!! PLUS, it's kind of dangerous...who knows who those people are and what there scoping out when your door is open. Sorry for the book. LOL.

brooke2916 said...

Luckily, because of our gate, we don't get soliciters here. Well, Except for the occasional Mexican saying "trabajo for me manana?". At our old house, we would get it every once in a while... there was a little old lady who came once a week trying to make me Morman. I sat with her for a good half hour one time.

Anonymous said...

I am going to hang a sign right now! I am so sick of them ringing the doorbell right during naptime. Then the dog goes mental and our wood floors get a beating. Last week it was some church person and I was so annoyed and so rude. All I said was, "My child is sleeping and now my barking dog will wake him up because of YOU." And I slammed the door. I am not as nice as you Kalyn! BUT, a sign is going up!!! I also wish UPS and FED EX would just leave the package and not ring the bell or knock....-Kate

Brandi said...

I'm so getting a sign! We literally just had a guy 10 min ago...in the pitch dark. What are they thinking? I actually had someone come after 8pm before and flipped out. My dogs go nuts (hard wood floors get scratched as someone mentioned) and if Ryan gets into the mix its a mess. I usually do not open the door and hope they take the hint but the sign is a great idea.

Kalyn said...

so far... so good. Not one knock, or ring. Oh, and I totally empathize- I would get SOOOO mad when they would wake her up from her nap!! The nerve of these people :)

Kikarafonik said...

I also live in Rancho del Oro, but my no soliciting sign does not work for these kiddos. THey come at least every other day. I am too scared to open the door; especially when they come after dark and my front porch light is not even on! Oh, well hopefully they will get the hint...eventually!

stat counter