Thursday, May 8, 2008

True Love Never Dies.

Paisley is approaching the age I was when my Dad passed away. Growing up, I thought knowing my Dad for only three years was small, and nothing significant. Every day, I look at my sweet Paisley, and gawk at how amazing her relationship is with her Daddy. I have a daily reminder that what I had with my Dad was not insignificant, and that I too, had a relationship with my father. As a child, the older I got, the more I thought I never knew him, or that he never knew me. However, now the older I get- the more I realize this is not true. You can learn a lot about people in three years- heck- some of my closest friends I haven't even known three years. Its amazing how much someone can touch your heat in such a short amount of time.

I have very few memories about my Dad, but the ones I have are truly amazing. He was the most handsome man I have ever seen, and his smile could light a room. He had a big nose. He had soft curly brown hair. He had hazel eyes, and a hairy chest. He was over 6 feet tall, and slender. He was a wonderful man- and my Mom's best friend. He was well known and very well liked among his friends and fellow residents of Carlsbad. I still meet people to this day that say to me how wonderful he was, and how they much they miss him. My Dad's birthday is on Monday May 12th. It is the day I set cruise to Cabo San Lucas. Coincidentally we will be sailing past some of the many places he and my Mom (an occasionally Myself) would go and fish for weeks at a time. They would drive down to Mexico- set up the trailer, catch fish and have rice and fish for dinner.

My Dad met my Mom when she was only 19. They lived in Palm Dessert, and he owned a Liquor Store with his older brother. Around 1970, my Mom and Dad moved to Oceanside, where he purposed to my mom on the beach. For ten years they became each others best friends, and lovers. They traveled the world, and made amazing memories. August 28th 1981 I was born. It wasn't until December 31st 1984 that he would pass away. Every single day of those 3 years and 4 months, he was my Daddy. He played with me- he talked to me. He showed me off- He took naps with me. Life was great. His Cancer would come and go, and with the help of my Mom, times would be less rough than others. With the help of a strictly Organic diet and a new beach house- we tried to keep things simple and easy for him. We eventually lost the fight, and my Mom had to make the decision to ultimately take him off life support. It was New Years Eve. It was a new start to the newest chapter in her life.

Every New Years Eve- I think of the decision my Mom had to make- and am thankful that I had those 3 years and 4 months to spend with my Dad. Do I feel like I didn't get to know him? No. Do I feel like I was cheated? No. Three years is a very long time to spend with someone. He was my Daddy.... he knew me, and I knew him! He lives in me, I have his smile- he will always be my Daddy, because True Love never Dies.

3 comments:

brooke2916 said...

This is such an amazing post. It really makes you think. I'm sorry that you lost your dad at such an early age... but at the same time, like you are saying, you were able to spend 3 years and 4 months of wonderful time with him. And that's awesome!

{{{HUGS}}}

Our Family of Four said...

WOW! I did not know you were so young but really you and your mom were so lucky to have such a wonderful man to love you. Not everyone gets to feel that, sadly. Nice for you to gain a new perspective through your child. Having a child is so special in so many ways but I never cease to be amazed at the powerful insights they bring.

Anonymous said...

Kalyn, I remember that day like it was yesterday. You spent the night with us that night and the next morning your mom called to let me know your Dad was gone. We took you,Tanner and Garrett to the zoo after we found out. You had no idea your daddy had died.I can remember watching you running around without a care in the world and having the time of your life and thinking that was just the way your dad would have wanted it. He was an AMAZING man and he would be sooo proud of you. Happy mothers day vivy!

stat counter